Tit For Tat

Long time ago, there lived a merchant, named Manohar Lal. He lived in a town. He was very, very rich. But unluckily, he fell on bad days, so much so that he became a bankrupt. His business failed and theft occurred in his house. Not only this, he had to sell his house to pay off the debts.


Manohar Lal was in utter adversity. But something had to be done to cope with the adverse conditions. So he thought, “I must go to some other town and start some work. God may help me and I may prosper again. “Manohar Lal made preparations to go to another town. One of his old friends Janki Das lived in the same town. He was a hypocritical person. Manohar Lal went to him and intimated him of his decision to leave the town.


Hearing Manohar’s tale of woe, Janki Das expressed his sympathy and said, “Dear friend, what can I do for you? Let me know.”


“My brother, I have got an iron bar that never rusts. I want to pawn it with you against one hundred rupees. When I will return, I shall clear your debt and have my iron rod back.”


“Is that all? It is no problem at all. I shall preserve the bar safely. “Saying so, Janki Das gave hundred rupees to Manohar and took his iron bar.


Manohar Lal thanked Janki Das and set out for another town. With the one hundred rupees he started a small business. Luck favoured him and in few monthes only, his business flourished and he became rich again. Manohar Lal returned to his hometown. He bought a new house and started his old business once again. Soon, he came to enjoy his old respect as well as dignity.


One day, Manohar Lal went to Janki Das’s house. His friend entertained him duly and they exchanged greetings. Then, Manohar Lal said to Janki Das, “Friend! Here are your one hundred rupees. I want to have my iron bar back.”


Janki Das put on a sad face and said, “My brother! I feel very ashamed to tell you that I placed your iron bar safely in a box. God knows how a rat got into the box and nibbled the entire bar. I tried my level best to get a similar bar from the market but to no purpose. What can I do now?”


Janki Das’s false statement created doubt in Manohar’s mind, he was convinced that his friend was insincere. And it was true that Janki did not want to part with the bar and that was why he had told a lie. But Manohar Lal was wise enough not to show any displeasure at what Janki Das had said. He smiled and said, “My friend! Why have you become so sad when a rat has nibbled the bar? It is not your fault at all. Nothing in the world is everlasting. Everything perishes sooner or later. Let us leave this topic. Don’t be sore at heart at all.”


Saying so, Manohar got up to leave for his house. Then he suddenly said, “Well, my friend! I forgot to tell you a very important thing. I have brought a valuable present for you. I have left it at home. Would you send your son to collect the present?” Ashamed of his dishonestly, Janki Das couldn’t refuse. He was happy that Manohar had believed his son Sunder with Manohar Lal.


Manohar returned home with Sunder and led him into the dark basement of his house and locked him there. Janki Das felt worried, as his son didn’t returned home till evening. He ran to manohar’s house and said, “Friend! Where is my son? He hasn’t reached home so far. “Manohar Lal said, “I am so sorry to break the bad news to you. “What bad news? Tell me immediately where my son is, “asked Janki Das impatiently.


“Brother! When we were coming from your house, a big bird pounced on the boy and took him away in his claws,” replied Manohar Lal. “It’s a lie… Can a bird carry a boy?” exclaimed Janki Das in anger.


Then hot words came to be traded between the two friends. Their fuss attracted a big crowd and the people started trying to make peace between them. But nobody could help them to reach the settlement. Finally, they went to the had of the town to seek a settlement of their dispute.


Janki Das said, “Sir, this man has kidnapped my son, sir? A gigantic bird carried his son away. What could I do?” replied Manohar.


The head of the town retorted, “You are telling lie. But there must be some reason for this lie. Let me know everything clearly.”


Manohar Lal narrated the whole story. He said, “Sir, you are a judge and I am sure your will dispense justice in our case. If an iron bar can be nibbled by a rat, why can’t a boy be carried away by a bird?”


Now the head of the town said, “Janki Das! Return his iron bar if you want to have your son back.”


Moral : Learn to be honest.

Vocabulary

1) Hypocritical (Adj) :
Pronunciation: ‘hipu’kritikul)
Meaning: Professing feelings or virtues one does not have.
Sen: He was a hypocritical person.

2) Woe (N):
Pronunciation: Wow
Meaning: a) Misery reflecting from affliction.
b) Intense mournfulness.
Sen: Hearing Manohar’s tale of woe, Janki Das expressed his sympathy and said, “Dear friend, what can I do for you? Let me know.”
0 Responses